These cinnamon rolls are a family favorite in our house and they’re actually way easier to make than I ever expected. Honestly, this was one of those recipes that I always used to think was so complicated but it’s surprisingly one of the easiest desserts to make from scratch and they’re beyond delicious!!
- 2 cups warmed milk (I use soy milk and microwave it for 1 minute)
- 1/2 cup melted butter (I use sunflower oil)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp (1 pack) active dry yeast
- 5 cups all-purpose flour in total (4 cups first, then 3/4 cups later, then 1/4 cup separately)
- 1-2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter (I use vegan butter, don’t use oil)
- 1/2 cup sugar (I’ve used white, light brown, and brown successfully)
- 2-3 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup icing/powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk (I use soy milk)
- dash of vanilla
STEP 1: DOUGH PREP
- Mix warmed milk, melted butter/oil, and sugar together. (Liquid should be warm, but shouldn’t hurt your finger if you touch it.)
- Mix yeast into liquid mixture and let it sit for 1-2 mins.
- Add 4 cups flour to the bowl and mix until combined (dough will be quite sticky).
- Cover bowl with towel and let it sit on the counter for an hour (it should rise to about double its size in this time).
STEP 2: MAKING ROLLS
- Add 3/4 cup flour, plus the baking powder and salt to your dough and mix. I like to use my hand to just fold these ingredients into the dough and just keep folding it in on itself until it’s all combined. Final dough should be a little stretchy, but not sticky at all.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of flour on counter and place the dough onto the counter.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle about 18×24″ and 1/2″ thick and try to keep it as even as possible. Note that it might seem like it won’t roll out at first, but just keep at it. The dough is very stretchy and while it takes a bit of coaxing, it does roll out to the full size every time.
- Brush the melted butter over the dough & sprinkle your cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the dough.
- Roll up the dough like a log + cut it into even 1 inch pieces. (I always start with a cut in the center and work my way out.)
- Grease up a baking dish (I use a rectangular glass dish like this: Amazon, but I’ve seen it done with circular pans as well. Honestly it doesn’t matter, use whatever you like best) and place the roll pieces evenly with their edges just touching. You need to give them a bit of room to rise some more and then also expand while baking so don’t squish them together.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise on the counter for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
STEP 3: BAKING + GLAZING
- After 30 mins, bake the rolls at 350 for 30 mins until they just start to brown.
- While they’re baking, mix up your glaze. Start with the powdered sugar and slowly whisk in small amounts of milk until you get a nice thick glaze. Add in a dash of vanilla to taste. Set aside until rolls are done baking.
- After 20-30 mins, remove rolls from oven and immediately coat with the glaze while they’re still hot.
- And that’s it!!! Now enjoy your delicious from-scratch homemade treats!