- Round mirror (same mirror, multiple sources): Wayfair | Amazon | Home Depot | Urban Outfitters
- FALL DECOR | Faux stems: Crate & Barrel (golden) | Crate & Barrel (rust)
- White vase (right side): Crate & Barrel
- White vase (left side): Crate & Barrel
- Metal vase (left side): Crate & Barrel
- SUMMER DECOR | Faux stems (left side): Crate & Barrel
- SUMMER DECOR | Faux stems (right side): Crate & Barrel | Pottery Barn
- Art piece: made by my dad
- Fireplace: Walmart | Amazon
- Shiplap: Tutorial & Info
- Mantel: old barn beam (sun-weathered solid wood, no stain)
- Black square frames (large): Crate & Barrel
- Tree art: DIY
- Faux olive tree (similar): Crate & Barrel | Pottery Barn
- Large round planter: Crate & Barrel
Armchair corner sources:
- Armchair (almost identical): West Elm
- Blanket ladder: West Elm | Macy’s
- Faux fur throw: Amazon | Similar: Pottery Barn
- Faux fur pillow: Amazon | Similar: Pottery Barn | Crate & Barrel
- Black velvet pillow: H&M Home
- Floor basket: Crate & Barrel | Similar: Pottery Barn | West Elm
- Floor lamp : Amazon | Similar: Crate & Barrel | West Elm
- Shallow basket on side table: Crate & Barrel
- Side table: Target | Similar: Wayfair
Coffee table corner sources:
- Oversized glass vase: West Elm
- Fluffy white stems in glass vase: Crate & Barrel
- Coffee table: Target | Similar: West Elm | West Elm | West Elm | West Elm | Pottery Barn | CB2 | CB2 | CB2 | CB2 | McGee & Co
- Armchair (almost identical): West Elm
- Tan sectional (almost identical): West Elm
- Gray couch (almost identical): West Elm
- Patterned pillows (on tan couch): CB2
- Textured wool pillows (on tan couch): CB2
- Pillows (on gray couch): H&M Home
- Basket by tan couch: West Elm
Leather care sources:
- Corner barstool (wood/metal): West Elm
- We don’t use many rugs partly because hubs is allergic to our cats and rugs hold allergens, and partly because we love the minimal look without them, but I get asked about them a lot so here are a few of my favorite styles: West Elm | West Elm | Overstock | Overstock | Overstock | Overstock | CB2 | CB2 | CB2 | CB2 | CB2 | CB2 | CB2 | CB2 | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily | Serena & Lily
Fireplace nook AV sources (we only use this for listening to music since we chose not to do a TV here, but it has everything wired in for a TV option too):
- Center channel speaker: Amazon
- Side speakers (rectangular): Amazon
- Wall speakers (circular): Amazon
- Stereo receiver: Amazon
- Paint color: BM Simply White. Walls/ceiling: flat, trim/shiplap: satin.
- Flooring: laminate Lionel by Evoke (possibly no longer available)
- Windows: SW Tricorn Black | Fiberglass, custom made
- Ceiling: 20-ft
Looking for a previous version of our mantel decor? Click here for past decor!
And just because I always get asked “Where is your TV?!”, I’ll quickly answer that we chose not to put a TV in our living room. Instead we built a full home theater room in our basement. For more info and to see pictures of it, visit our Theater Room Sources Page and/or our Basement Sources Page.
To explore other rooms in our home, click here for our website roadmap.
To follow our daily progress and house projects, follow us on Instagram @ahousewebuilt.
I’m not sure exactly, I’ve never calculated those 2 rooms together so offhand I’m not sure. The main 3 floors not inc. basement are 4500sf.
Can you please tell me the material you used for the fireplace paneling? It is beautiful and we would love to recreate in our homemade we are building! 😄 thank you so much!
Hi, it’s called shiplap. We have a tutorial here: https://www.ahousewebuilt.com/shiplap/
My wife and I are also doing shiplap for our fireplace wall however our builder is claiming we need to install 6″ of tile around our xtrordinair fireplace. How did you get around this with your fireplace?
We have an electric fireplace, the rules are different.
We are considering an electric fireplace to replace our non-vented gas fireplace-are you happy with the aesthetic and the warmth it produces?
We are very happy with the aesthetic. It has the ability to heat but we don’t ever use it for that as we keep our indoor temp quite warm just normally and don’t use it as a heat source.
Can you give me some tips as to where to source the wood mantle? I’ve been looking online but have not found anything similar?
You’d have to try locally – I don’t think it’s the kind of thing you can really ship to be honest – it’s like 300 pounds O_o
Jaclyn F says
Hi! What floors are you using through out the main living room/ kitchen? thank you!
All our flooring is listed in the post ^.
Can you tell me the height from the floor to the bottom of the fireplace and the height from the floor to the bottom of the mantle?
Sorry I don’t remember those offhand. We just based on what looked good to our eye.
Obsessed with your home- simply stunning! Doing a similar wall in living room and was wondering- Can you tell me the size of the bumpout wall? mainly the length and depth? ALso- the size of each individual shiplap piece? Also- is your firebox 50 inch? Why did you choose the dimplex ? We are looking at the napoleon alluravision. Thx!
Hi – thank you! 🙂 I don’t like to give out specific dimensions as I don’t want anyone to specifically replicate our home, it’s only shown for general inspiration. Our fireplace is linked to our size in the post, and we chose it just because it was the look we were looking for and we’d heard good things about it, but it’s not specifically better or worse than any other one.
Jennifer Treece says
Hi! I love your fireplace wall and have pinned it so many times 😂 We are considering building one ourselves. Do you have a ‘how to’ on bumping out the wall and how to secure the fireplace? My husband is handy but I think we need a guide! Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
Hi! It’s framed the same way a normal wall would be framed 🙂
Hi~ in your IG post, you stated that you attached the wood beam with just a few pieces of steel. Can you tell me what fixtures you used to attach it to the wall instead of the traditional brackets? Thanks!
They’re just steel L brackets bolted to the beam and the stud. Like just standard chunky ones.
Hi there! Beautiful home! Did you paint the window framing yourselves? Or did you buy them like that? If you bought them, are you able to tell me where? If you painted them, what is the best paint to use?
Thanks so much!
Our windows are all custom made, fiberglass. They are made with a factory paint finish as part of the custom process.
What are the dimensions of your beautiful mantel?
It’s actually irregular – up to 3″ different on each side since it’s a hand hewn barn beam 🙂
Can you please tell me the colour of your Structube Sectional and armchair. The ‘Kinsey’ comes in colours Copper or Caramel. Thank you ☺️
Thank you fir sourcing all your designs. But are your baseboards simply white as well? If so, are the walls flat paint?
Yes, there is only one white paint color in our house 🙂
Thank you so much for sharing all of this information. Your home is beautiful beyond words and I really appreciate your kindness in sharing it with the world!!!
You’re so welcome! And thank you 🙂
Trying to find a true white in a Sherman Williams paint. How do your walls painted in flat hold up?
Ours do hold up well but we use BM, not SW, for our white.
The ceilings in your living room are very high! Do you have pot lights or any light fixtures?
Yes, we have recessed lighting in all our ceilings throughout our home.
Hi I just love your kitchen backsplach what is it?? And us that shiplap on your ceiling in the kitchen? Thanks
Please visit our kitchen sources page for that information: https://www.ahousewebuilt.com/kitchen/ 🙂
I was wondering if all the windows in your house are drywall return? Did you put trim on any of them (aside from the bench windows)?
I’m leaning towards doing drywall return but have heard that drywall as a horizontal surface isn’t great.
How are they holding up in the cold climate?
Thanks for your insight 🙂
Yes, we have drywall returns. No, we do not have trim.
The trick is to use shower drywall over plywood and properly seal them.
Thank you! 🙏🏼 May have more questions once I start to build! 😁
Hi! Where is the Fireplace AV nook you reference? I don’t see it but wondering how to incorporate speakers into shiplap.
Our nook is behind the mirror, the speakers are on either side at floor level – both are both built into the wall
Hello. I am in love with your home!
For your floors, what color family is it? Beige, grey or other?
Thank you! Our flooring source is listed in the post ^^
Beautiful home!! Do you have a big light in that tall ceiling? I’m trying to decide, we have 19 ft ceilings and I’m not sure! I don’t see anything but just wanted to be sure…if you really don’t, tell my why you skipped it! Thanks so much!
No, just recessed lighting for a more minimal aesthetic. 🙂
Can you tell me if you stained your mantle or what you’ve put on it? Thanks
No stain – our mantel is listed in the post ^^ 🙂
Do you have any trouble with noice levels/echo in your great room? We just finished a new build featuring a two story great room, very similar to yours, and the noise is crazy. I can hardly stand to be in there if there are more than 2 people in the room. Wondering if you have any tips for reducing noice?
No, we don’t have that issue but we put acoustic insulation into all our walls and floors during our build in anticipation of this. Our flooring also has a rubber underlay underneath it so we took steps before our walls were closed in for this.