One of the most common questions I get asked is how we keep our house clean as we do not have a cleaning service, so we do it all ourselves and these tips/habits are what helps us so I thought I’d share!
First thing is that we consciously choose to not own a lot of “stuff” and everything we do own has a place it lives. Our house rule (which was my mom’s rule when I was growing up that worked really well and that I’ve continued on in our house) is that “anything you take out must be returned to where you found it, in the same condition you found it in”. It takes a while to make that into a habit but once you get into this habit, it eliminates a pile up of “stuff” around because you’ve put everything away once you’re no longer using it. So a combination of not owning a lot of stuff, having designated homes where all your stuff lives, and a habit of returning everything you take out to its designated home really help to keep your living space tidy.
Next, I thought I’d share a couple habits I got into that help me out:
- First habit is to “clean as you go” as much as possible so to keep everything at least mostly tidy and when you go to actually clean-clean, you’re more “topping off” the clean, rather than starting from scratch. In my opinion, this is the most important/biggest impact thing you can do.
- Second habit is to set small timers. It’s amazing how much you can get done in even just sixty seconds, or five minutes. Instead of dedicating massive chunks of time, I’ll just go into a room, set a timer for 1-2 mins and do whatever I need to do in that room and seriously you can get so much done in a small amount of time, but I find that setting that little timer helps me mentally not get overwhelmed with the idea of “cleaning” as this huge impossible task. It more manageable and more achievable when you’re only having to find an extra two mins in your day instead of two hours.
- Third habit is anytime I go from A to B in our house, I ask myself if there’s anything else I could do at the same time. For example, if I’m in the kitchen but I need something from the third floor, I’ll see if there’s maybe a load of laundry I can carry up at the same time or whatever else is needed. This doubles the productivity of my time because I’d have had to get that thing from the third floor anyways but this way I don’t have to make a whole separate trip for that load of laundry.
As for actual cleaning sources, these are mainly what I use:
- Cordless vacuum: Amazon | Walmart (my favorite and I highly recommend this one! Right now I have two of these, one on the main floor and one on the second. We will eventually have one on each floor of our house for added convenience. I’m not sponsored, this is my honest opinion!)
- Corded vacuum cleaner: Amazon | Walmart (ours is the slightly older version of these, honestly ever since getting our cordless vacuum though, I’ve used this less day-to-day. It’s a very good vacuum though and I’ll maybe use this once a month or so for a deeper clean.)
- Floor mop: Amazon | Walmart
Personally my favorite is this cordless vacuum: Amazon | Walmart. I use this every day. In our old house I would use both the corded and hand vacuums as well but ever since we moved here, I’d found that the I mostly only need that cordless vacuum because it has multiple attachments that I can use for pretty much everything and you just can’t beat the convenience of being able to just grab it off the wall, vacuum around a bit, and hang it back up. This lets me vacuum just one room of the house at a time when I have time instead of getting overwhelmed by having to vacuum the entire house in one go (I’m exhausted even thinking about that) so the cordless vacuum gives me the most flexibility and we’ve transitioned our house to mostly rely on just that one so if you’re looking to get a vacuum, that is the one I’d recommend the most. Right now, we have two of them (on our main floor and on our second floor) but my goal is to have one on each floor eventually so one on our third floor and one in our basement and I really think that that will just completely make our cleaning about as effortless as it’s possible to get.
Grooming the cats regularly makes the biggest difference as far as keeping the house free of fur. I use this grooming tool and I groom all our cats at night before bed every other night. If I’m late by even one day, I notice a difference in our house. Note: this is also something that helps with allergies. To learn more about How to Cope with Cat Allergies, click here.
I hope this helps!