My dad built this amazing window seat cushion for my home office that I absolutely love! It’s comfortable, customizable, and totally DIY-able, so I’m going to show you the basic steps of how to make one here. We also used this technique to create the window seat for the cabinetry we built in our master bedroom.
- High Density Upholstery Foam: Amazon
- Dacron: Amazon
- 1/2″ Plywood or MDF: Home Depot | Home Depot |
- Staple gun: Home Depot
- Fabric: any kind you want
- Cut plywood to about 1/4 on each side smaller than the final size you need.
- Cut foam to the same size as the plywood.
- Cut dacron to size allowing for several inches of overlap underneath as well as the inches of the depth of the foam – so about 8 inches bigger than the plywood on each side.
- Assemble the parts upside down: first lay out the dacron, then the foam, then the plywood
- Start with one staple in the middle of each side, stretching slightly. Then staple each side alternately, working toward the corners.
- For the corners, just try to make them as clean as possible – just like wrapping a present.
- After you’re done the stapling the dacron, then do the same with the fabric. The dacron and fabric should be stapled separately.
Other sources from the pics in this post:
- Decorative pillows: Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon
- Black light fixtures: Wayfair (they call it bronze, but it’s black)
- Fireplace: Overstock | Amazon
- Coffee table (metal base): Target | Walmart
- Stool (in the corner): West Elm
- Shiplap: Tutorial & Info
- Paint colors: BM Simply White + SW Dorian Gray.
For our daily progress, follow us on Instagram @ahousewebuilt.
To explore the other rooms in our house, click here.
For our more of our tutorials, click here.
Tacinca Davis says
Hello! Great job on your house, it’s beautiful. Love the kitties too! Would you mind telling me the distance from the floor to the bottom of the window, the final thickness of the mattress, and the distance from the floor to the top of the window seat? Is there a lip to hold the mattress on the seat? Also, how wide is the window seat? Sorry for all the questions. It’s hard to figure out dimensions from photos.
I don’t know all those dimensions off hand and the purpose of my sharing how to build it is not that someone actually replicates it exactly but to give them a guideline on how to build a similar one that fits your own space. So the dimensions don’t really matter. You can make your cushion to be whatever size you need for your space 🙂
Thanks for sharing! FYI your amazon links for foam and dacron aren’t working… just in case you had referral links and want to update them!
Welcome 🙂 Both links are actually working. Maybe just try refreshing your page!
Hi! I was just browsing your page and links too. I couldn’t get any of the amazon links to work either.
It was a glitch with Amazon last night only. Actually all Amazon short links were down everywhere (it had nothing to do with me specifically). But it’s all fixed now 🙂
Hello! What is the paint color you used for the bench?
Hi! All paint colors are listed on our home page below FAQs 🙂
What is the fabric you used on the bench?
Honestly I don’t remember what it’s called – sorry. It looks very similar to the gray fabric on the desk chair that’s in that room (that’s sourced on my Office Room Sources page if you want to zoom in to see a close example).