I love donuts but I don’t love that they’re fried so I finally found a baked donut recipe I was happy with and I’m going to share it here. This is an adaptation of my Donut Bites recipe but it’s less work!
1. Preheat your oven to 350.
2. Make your batter like this:
In a medium mixing bowl, combine your wet ingredients:
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk (I use soy)
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil or melted butter
In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix – I literally just use a fork.
4. Spray down your donut trays with oil, then spoon the mixture into the rings. I use 2 spoons and do about a third of the donut at a time. I find this much easier than piping them in.
5. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.
6. Remove from tray as soon as you can handle them and transfer the donuts to a cooling rack. Once they can be handled, get two bowls: fill one with 1/4 cup of oil or melted butter, fill the other with 1/2 cup of cinnamon sugar (which is literally just sugar with some cinnamon mixed in).
7. Brush each donut with oil on both sides, then dunk it in the sugar bowl until fully coated.
8. Devour all donuts. They are best fresh. It’s possible they’d keep well overnight but we’ve never gotten that far. Ours are usually all eaten within the hour lol.